Tastings from the Duke Integrative Cafe
December 6, 2016
Braised Winter Greens with Coconut & Curry
Recipe Provided by Chef Cate Smith and Culinary Partner Meriwether Godsey
Yield 4 servings
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 2 pounds kale or collard greens, ribs removed, leaves chopped and rinsed
- 1-cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium heat, add onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to brown and soften.
- Add garlic, ginger and curry powder; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add half of greens and stir until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining greens, broth, coconut milk and little salt, quickly cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, 25 to 35 minutes for kale and 35 to 45 minutes for collards.
- Remove the lid and increase heat to medium high.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat, stir in lime juice and remaining oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Top with cashews.
In April 2023, Jennifer Bachman, the Health Center Administrator at Duke Health & Fitness Center, obtained her Health & Well-Being Coach Training Certification. This helped her expand her ability to serve her center's clients and create opportunities for a more meaningful member experience. Learn more about Jennifer's experience in the ...
Optimizing men's health requires a holistic approach that takes into account the various physical, mental, and emotional dimensions. While physical fitness is important, it's just one piece of the puzzle. In this blog post, we'll explore the benefits of a whole-person approach to men's health, highlighting how it can lead ...
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month; Diabetes is a chronic condition affecting millions worldwide. While medication is often a crucial component of diabetes management, a holistic approach that addresses lifestyle, diet, and mental well-being can significantly enhance overall health. This blog post will explore various holistic ways ...
For more information about
Duke Integrative Medicine and our various services and programs, please join our mailing list.
error: Content is protected !!