A Guided Mindfulness Meditation to Improve the Moment
January 23, 2023
Mindful breathing is a powerful exercise that can help you stay focused on the present moment. Combining a mindful breathing exercise with meditation can help you focus and relax. Read the instructions below to familiarize yourself with the experience. Set a timer, and as you get more accustomed to using this technique to help you relax, you can set the alarm for longer periods of time. Stop if you feel light-headed or for any other reason. Instead, return your breathing to a normal rate and begin counting your breaths.
- Sit in a comfortable position. Try to sit in the same place each day. Avoid positions that you might fall asleep in.
- The back is long and supports itself.
- Shoulders are relaxed downward, the neck is long, and the chin points neither up nor down.
- The face is relaxed.
- Begin to breathe (preferably through the nostrils). Feel the belly rise; the ribs expand, and the slight movement of the collarbones and shoulders as the breath moves upward. Feel the exhalation. Focus on one aspect of the breath:
- The air movement in and out of the nostrils.
- Or the lifting and falling of the belly.
- Watch that one aspect of the breath.
- When the mind wanders, gently bring it back to the breath and the aspect you have chosen to watch.
- Do this as many times as you need to.
- There is no such thing as a good or bad meditation. (Good and bad are judgments, events in the mind – notice them and return to breathing.)
- Start with 5-10 minutes and then increase the time until you can sit for 30 minutes.
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook
Interested in Expanding Your Mindful Meditation Practice? Explore our Expansive Portfolio of Mindfulness Programs
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction – Online
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction – In Person
Experiencing Mindfulness – Virtual Drop-In or In Person
Day of Mindfulness – Half-Day Virtual
In a world where the pace of life seems to accelerate with each passing day, taking a moment to prioritize our health and well-being is not just a luxury but a necessity. This holiday season, consider giving the gift of health and wellness with the thoughtful and transformative programs and ...
Strengthening your immune system is crucial to fend off potential threats as the cold and flu season approaches. A robust immune system is your body's first line of defense against viruses and bacteria. This blog post will explore seven science-backed strategies to strengthen your immune system during the cold and ...
As the year draws to a close, decluttering your life can increase productivity, reduce stress, and give you a clearer perspective. This blog post will explore five practical ways to simplify your life and declutter before the year's end.
For more information about
Duke Integrative Medicine and our various services and programs, please join our mailing list.
error: Content is protected !!